Sunday, February 27, 2011

Is pòsaidh mi . . . I will marry


Marriage is more than finding the right person. It is being the right person. (Unknown)


Paul proposed this morning. I accepted and I’m feeling like the luckiest woman alive. In marrying him I will gain the kindest and best of husbands, a man whose thoughtfulness of others inspires me to be a better person.


A Gaelic song keeps running through my head. “Is pòsaidh mi,” means “I will marry.” To marry someone is also to marry their family, but in my case I’m also marrying a country. I will always be a Texan, but I will also be Scottish resident. And in doing so I return in joy to the country my ancestors left in desperation for a better life. In the Scots Gaelic language, one cannot be married to a spouse, but rather at a spouse. I will be married at Paul, and I will be married at Scotland.


Song of the Day: Tighinn Air A'mhuir Am Fear a Phosas Mi by Capercaillie. Someone after my own heart has made a lovely slideshow of Scottish scenery to accompany this song. While I’m not marrying “the shepherd of the yearling sheep” described in these lyrics, I like it all the same.


2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Here's to lifelong adventures! Congratulations Kimberly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to fate.

    I came to your blog, Kimberly, through a link to the words, "is pòsaidh mi." When I read your post, I knew that this side path was more than serendipity.

    I want to congratulate you on your upcoming marriage to Paul, and send heartfelt wishes for a long and beautiful life together. This may sound odd, coming from a total stranger, but I too have said "is pòsaidh mi," to a Scot who came into my life in the 11th hour and literally saved me. He is the blood of my heart...m'annsachd.

    Like you, I'm from the U.S. Unlike you, we will live here (rats!), because Draughn is a dean at an American university.

    Wherever the two of you travel...a h-uile la sona dhuibh 's gun la idir dona dhuibh!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete